CBD (Cannabidiol) is a natural compound extracted from the cannabis plant that is gaining increasing popularity in the world of health and wellness, not only for humans but also for pets. This article will explore the benefits of CBD for animals, recommended dosage, and important considerations to keep in mind.
5 Benefits of CBD for Animals
CBD acts on the animals’ endocannabinoid system, a system peculiar to the body that boasts three main components:
- Cannabinoids, which can be external (phytocannabinoids) such as CBD or internal (endocannabinoids) , that is, produced by the body itself;
- Cannabinoid receptors (CB1 and CB2, found in the central nervous system and immune system, respectively) which bind cannabinoids, including CBD;
- Enzymes that as authentic catalysts exert the reactions modulating organic homeostasis when cannabinoids are bound by their respective receptors.
One must therefore imagine CBD as a modulator: it, in fact, acts on the endocannabinoid system and restores organic homeostasis that is impaired by conditions of a pathological and/or inflammatory nature. When endocannabinoids or phytocannabinoids taken in through the oil attach to receptors, this stimulates the animal’s natural ability to create serotonin, a natural mood stabilizer.
CBD has been shown to have a number of potential benefits for dogs and cats. Here are some of the main advantages:
- Pain Management: CBD is known for its analgesic properties, which can be especially useful for older animals or those with painful conditions such as arthritis. It can help reduce inflammation and improve comfort.
- Anxiety Reduction: Pets can suffer from anxiety and stress, especially during events such as thunderstorms, fireworks, visits to the vet or times of separation from their owners. CBD can help reduce anxiety and promote greater peace of mind.
- Controlling Seizures: Some pets suffer from seizures, which can be debilitating and frightening. CBD has been shown to have a positive effect in controlling seizures, even in animals that do not respond well to other treatments.
- Improved Appetite: Animals that are sick or have lost their appetite can benefit from CBD, which can help stimulate hunger and reduce nausea.
- Immune System Support: CBD can help strengthen the immune system of pets, helping them fight infections and diseases.
Use of CBD Oil for Dogs and Cats
CBD oil for dogs and cats can be administered in several ways, here are some common options:
- Mix it with Food: Many people prefer to mix CBD oil with their pet’s food. Be sure to measure the dosage carefully and mix it well with the food to ensure that your pet consumes it completely.
- Sublingual Administration: You can apply CBD oil directly under your pet’s tongue. This method allows for greater absorption but can be more difficult to perform, especially with cats.
- Topical Application: In cases of skin problems or localized pain, you can also apply a CBD oil specially formulated for animals directly to the skin or affected area.
CBD oil dosages for dogs and cats may vary depending on the animal’s weight, age and individual needs. These are some general guidelines:
Small dogs (less than 10 kg): 2-5 mg CBD per day.
Medium-sized dogs (10-25 kg): 5-10 mg CBD per day.
Large dogs (over 25 kg): 10-20 mg CBD per day.
Always start with the lowest dosage and monitor your dog closely for any changes in behavior or well-being. Increase the dosage gradually if necessary.
Cats of all sizes: 1-5 mg of CBD per day.
Cats require lower dosages than dogs, so it is critical to be especially careful about dosing accuracy. Start with the lowest dose and carefully evaluate your cat’s response.
Can CBD get my pet high?
CBD is a non-intoxicating component of hemp and marijuana plants. Unlike THC, CBD cannot get you or your pets high. However, CBD can affect brain activity in pets, which leads to some potential benefits, such as reduced stress and anxiety for dogs and cats. Pets should never be given an intoxicating level of THC.
Our Pet CBD Oil, the line dedicated to our pets, is obtained from Cannabis Sativa L. plants. ,produced and processed without the use of chemicals and with great attention to sustainable agriculture, with a high CBD content. Before administering CBD to your pet, it is essential to keep some important considerations in mind:
- Choose High Quality Products: Be sure to use high quality CBD products designed specifically for pets. Avoid using products intended for humans as they may contain inappropriate ingredients or dosages.
- Monitor Side Effects: Although CBD is generally well tolerated by pets, it is important to carefully monitor your pet’s reaction. Possible side effects include drowsiness, dry mouth and changes in behavior.
For more information and resources on the benefits of CBD for animals, you can check out this scientific article on Cannabidiol for disease management in dogs and cats.
Finally, we want to hear your voice. Have you ever experimented with CBD for your furry friends? Please share your experiences or concerns on this topic in the comments below. Sharing your stories and questions can enrich our community and help other pet owners make informed decisions about improving the well-being of their furry friends.