Seeking mental well-being
In our fast-paced world, it can be difficult to find moments of peace and quiet, and too often this can lead to an overwhelmed and anxious state of mind. Fortunately, there is a way to ground oneself through mindfulness and meditation, which can help create a feeling of calm by bringing attention to the present moment and oneself. It has been shown that CBD oil can also be helpful in achieving serenity, offering a natural way to quiet the mind and focus thoughts. Could CBD help us meditate and practice mindfulness more effectively? In this article, we will explore the connection between CBD and mindfulness and the benefits of this practice for our mental well-being.
The terms ‘mindfulness‘ and ‘meditation‘ are often used interchangeably, but there is a subtle distinction between the two concepts. Mindfulness is simply being aware of or attentive to the present moment, for example, what we are experiencing or our emotional states, in a nonjudgmental way. On the other hand, meditation involves a deep exploration of mindfulness, focusing on a specific object or experience. It can be regarded as an inner journey, in which we examine our physical and mental state, thereby gaining a deeper understanding of ourselves and our lives.
Meditation practice can help reduce stress, anxiety and depression, while also improving concentration and clarity of thought. Mindfulness has also been shown to promote increased empathy, self-control, concentration, compassion, emotional intelligence, happiness and overall well-being.
There are also physical benefits associated with mindfulness, such as improved sleep and optimized cardiovascular health. Both, meditation and mindfulness, have been used in the field of clinical psychology for several decades, helping to reduce anxiety, stress and depression, and supporting those coping with addictions. They also represent essential tools for taking care of oneself, applicable in daily routines. Thus, no matter what form or style of mindfulness one adopts, it can bring significant benefits to one’s mental health and overall well-being.
The Synergy Between CBD and Mindfulness
Meditation has inherent power, but adding additional support can enhance your practice. For centuries, yogis have recognized the importance of incorporating medicinal herbs into their practice. According to Johns Hopkins Medicine, complementary alternative medicine approaches, such as meditation, can promote more effective healing through greater emotional and mental health.
Several studies have shown that people heal better when they enjoy a good emotional and mental state. Currently, it is being noted that the addition of CBD can revolutionize people’s experience during meditation sessions. In fact, CBD can balance the mood and re-educate the body on how to temporarily manage anxiety. By using CBD during meditation, you are basically associating calmness with the present moment. By supplementing CBD to calm anxiety, you are ready to appease inner judgment.
Why should you use CBD in your mindfulness practices?
Facilitates your relaxation
One of the main purposes of mindfulness practices is to induce a state of deep relaxation. CBD’s ability to promote relaxation through its interaction with the endocannabinoid system harmonizes with the goals of mindfulness. By using CBD before engaging in mindfulness techniques, you can experience a more intense feeling of relaxation, both physically and mentally. This relaxed state allows for a more engaging and transformative mindfulness practice, facilitating self-discovery, stress reduction and a sense of inner peace.
It stabilizes and enhances your state of mind.
Meditation focuses on inner peace and helping you feel relaxed and positive. CBD oil helps keep you calm and boost serotonin production in your brain. Improved mood results in a longer meditation session. Meditation, similar to any other skill, takes practice, and the more you practice it, the better your mindfulness practice becomes.
Improve your concentration
Increased ability to focus is crucial, especially at the beginning of your meditation practice and when you wish to extend your meditation time. The use of CBD oil has been shown to improve concentration, focus and attention. This, consequently, allows your mind to resist random thoughts and enables you to keep sitting for longer periods by reducing distractions.
How to Meditate with CBD
- Take your CBD oil– Deposit CBD oil under your tongue and hold it there for 60 to 90 seconds, allowing the cannabinoid to enter the bloodstream quickly. CBD takes time to take effect, but taking the oil sublingually is one of the most efficient methods. Do this 20-30 minutes before starting the meditation practice.
- Find a comfortable space – Choose a comfortable, quiet area free of distractions (leave your phone in another room if possible). Take a few moments to relax and empty your mind. Position yourself comfortably, whether in a chair or lying down. Close your eyes if you prefer.
- Be aware of your body – Focus your attention on your body for a few minutes. Note your position and make any changes if you experience uncomfortable feelings. Relax your shoulders and soften your jaw. Notice the contact your body has with another surface; the chair or the floor, for example. If your mind starts to wander, simply make yourself aware and bring your attention back to your body.
- Focus on breathing – Now that you are comfortable and relaxed, and your CBD should be active, it’s time for some breathing exercises. Listen to your natural breathing pattern and then take a few deep breaths. If you feel comfortable, breathe in slowly through your nose and out slowly through your mouth. Slowly counting to 4 with each inhalation and exhalation can be beneficial for slowing the breath and maintaining concentration. As you become more familiar with this process, you may want to take longer breaths.
- Be aware of your thoughts – As you become more relaxed in meditation, focus on any thoughts that might be present in your mind. It is okay if these thoughts are anxious, unpleasant or negative; it is natural and part of the process. Notice them, but don’t judge yourself for having them. Let go of those thoughts and allow the calming effects of CBD to help you overcome those feelings.
- Return to the body – When you are nearing the end of your meditation, it is time to return awareness to the body. Start by gently moving your toes and fingers, circulate your ankles and wrists, and gently sit, stretch your arms or open your eyes.
- Reflect – Once you feel your meditation is complete, take time to reflect on how you feel and practice gratitude. Think about any positive changes that occurred during the session, such as a decrease in stress or an increase in concentration. After reflecting, close your practice by saying aloud or silently a mantra, such as “I am relaxed and at peace,” “I am fulfilled,” or “I am ready to face what life has to offer me.”
Through the practice of meditation and mindfulness associated with CBD, you can reduce stress and anxiety, enhance motivation, concentration and mental clarity, and achieve peace and balance in your life. Try incorporating meditation into your daily routine, even if only for a few minutes initially. It may be difficult to concentrate at first, but as with any exercise, it becomes significantly easier with practice. In addition, the benefits to your physical and mental well-being are an absolute value.
Happy meditation – and don’t forget about CBD!